Château Cos d’Estournel’s owner has just acquired the neighbouring Château Pomys, once owned by Louis Gaspard d’Estournel. The acquisition is part of a vision to recreate the original complex.
Businessman Michel Reybier, owner of Château Cos d’Estournel, a number of hotels and spas, and other vineyards in Champagne and Hungary (Tokaji), has just bought a new property- Château Pomys in Saint-Estèphe.
The chateau lies a few hundred metres from the Cos d’Estournel estate and its acquisition is part of « Cos d’Estournel’s heritage plans. The purchase of Château Pomys pays tribute to the property’s history and means we can recreate the architectural complex as its founder intended » the new owner explained in a press release. « Louis Gaspard d’Estournel, known as the Maharajah of Saint Estèphe, inherited Château Pomys in 1791. Pomys was his residence, whereas Cos was given over to winegrowing « , he continued.
Château Pomys has 12 hectares of land, a hotel and a restaurant. Since 1951, the property had belonged to the Arnaud family.
« By reuniting the two main parts of the domaine, the property can be returned to its original form with Cos d’Estournel as a palace for winemaking and Pomys as the founder’s welcoming home”.
Read further on iDealwine Le Blog:
- Auction Report: 2016 Top 50 wines
- Buying tips: if I like this type of wine, which appellation should I choose?
- Pairing wine with cheese
- Pairing wine with fish and shellfish
- Pairing wine with chocolate
- Food and wine pairings: how to choose a dish to serve with a very fine wine
- For vegetarians (or not): what are the right food/wine pairings for vegetables?
- Grilled lobster with salted butter
See all wines currently on sale
Register here to access auctions and fixed-price sales