The 6th edition of Fine Spirits Auction (FSA) is live! We recently told you that rums were on the rise, and here is the proof with this auction that puts them in the limelight: bottlings from the Italian house Velier and old West Indian rum. You will also find a huge variety of fine spirits in other categories: Japanese whisky or Scotch, Cognac, and Armagnac… Happy bidding!
Rum, the star of the sale
Our favourites in this auction include:
- Skeldon 32 years 1973 Velier: so rare that this is the first time this year has appeared on Fine Spirits Auction, bottled by Velier in 2005. This rum is of unparalleled rarity (544 bottles in all), made from Luca Gargano’s selections in the cellars of Demerara Distillers Limited.
- Caroni: a name that resonates in the mind of every rum enthusiast, there are classic versions aged 12, 15 and 17 years, special editions (Trespassers, The Last or the Tasting Gang), or the famous Employees range which features former employees of the distillery such as, for this sale, John “D” Eversley, Dennis “X” Gopaul and Basdeo “Dicky” Ramsarran.
- Hampden and Foursquare: we are seeing more and more Jamaica and Barbados in our auctions. At Hampden, there is the blend of HLCF and LROK, bottled to celebrate the 60th anniversary of La Maison du Whisky. On Foursquare, choose between the Exceptional Casks and the Velier bottlings (Tryptich, Destino or Principia) which are a true testament to the skill of the great distiller Richard Seale.
- Old West Indies rums: a journey to the heart of the West Indies, with hidden gems (many of them vintage between 1960 and 1980) from the distilleries of Depaz, Bally, La Favorite, Trois Rivières or Montebello. Rarer still, bottles from distilleries that no longer exist, such as Bernus or Courville.
- But also…: discover rums from Haiti, Panama, Venezuela or Cuba.
Two Japanese whiskies not to be missed
- Yamazaki 1979 Mizunara Cask #RF1037: this is a single cask matured in a mizunara butt (Japanese oak) from which only 294 bottles were released, a rarity.
- Chichibu Single Casks: if you like this distillery founded by Ichiro Akuto, here are bottles from a stout cask (#4548), a Burgundy wine cask (#5080) or a bourbon cask (#2087).
- Bowmore, Macallan and Springbank: the great Scots are present at this sale: old vintages of Macallan (The Anniversary Malt 25 years old), 1960s or 1970s Bowmore, 1966 and 1969 Mortlach bottlings (made by Gordon & MacPhail), old versions of Springbank…
- Glen Ord 22-year-old 1962 Cadenhead: this mythical bottle is part of the dumpy, legendary series. You will appreciate it for its unique aromas.
Top Cognacs and Armagnac
- Rémy Martin Louis XIII Rare Cask: do you know what a tierçon is? This is your chance to find out! It is a barrel format that became very rare at the beginning of the last century, containing 520 to 560 litres. It was chosen by the cellar master Pierrette Trichet in 2004 to make this cuvée.
- Numerous vintages of Cognac and Armagnac: pre-phylloxera Cognac (Delamain 1875) and other rare gems await!