The iDealwine team is excited to share their favourite wines with you as the first month of 2023 slowly comes to an end. And the cherry on top is that these bottles all come from our selection of discounted wines. You’ll want a pen and paper to hand as you read this to make sure you don’t forget one of these lovely cuvées.
- We’re starting with Jérémy, our webmaster who we couldn’t live without; if he weren’t here, the iDealwine website would stop working. Jérémy didn’t need a second to think about his favourite wine. It’s straight to the South-West and the Basque country for him. He chose Irouléguy 2019 from Domaine Bordaxuria, which mixes the generosity of Tannat with the fruitiness of Cabernet Franc. The domain’s vines are planted just outside the magnificent village of Saint-Jean-Pieds-de-Port on the steep slopes of Arradoy with its red sandstone terroir rich in iron.
- Paul, who works in the international marketing team, loves Château Lafon Rochet. The château is, in fact, the first one this Boston native ever visited in France and his visit is what started him on his path into the world of wine. Mainly composed of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot, this Saint Estèphe offers black fruit and spice aromas and moves around the palate tenderly with its soft tannins. It is counted among the appellation’s finest wines.
- As for Juliette, the newest member of our communications team, she has chosen the Château Siran 2020. She actually stayed at the château during the En Primeurs Week in 2020. A difficult-to-find cuvée from the Margaux appellation, it combines notes of red and black fruits and is perfect for pairing with a duck breast filet.
- Louis, who works as a sales administration officer, takes us abroad with a Stellenbosch Glenelly Estate Reserve Chardonnay 2019. This South African wine with its delicate smokiness was only aged in a small proportion of new barrels, 10% to be exact, in order to preserve its beautiful freshness and balance. On the palate, aromas of honeysuckle intertwine with those of white fruits and concludes with subtle almond notes.
- Benoit, in charge of our technical projects, suggests this L’échelier 2018 from Domaine des Roches Neuves, which he particularly likes. This biodynamic white wine is full of fruit, floral and vegetal aromas. It’s powerful and rich on the palate – an excellent Loire wine according to him.
The sparkling bottles
- For Michèle, a huge lover of Champagne and sales administration and cataloguing manager at iDealwine, it can only be Prélude Brut Grand Cru from Taittinger. Made from a blend of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir, this Champagne reveals a gorgeous mix of mineral, floral and vegetal notes. She like to pair it with a beautiful sea food platter or a scallop terrine at apéro.
- Lionel, one of the managing directors at iDealwine, told us about his love of Ernestine Brut Nature from Virginie Bergeronneau, which he describes as being beautifully fresh and wonderfully balanced. This Champagne full of delicate bubbles could be enjoyed with guinea fowl and chestnuts or sea bream and citrus fruits if you would like to try something a little different.
The sweet wines
- Alice, who looks after you, our customers, has bought Château Doisy Daëne 2002, which mixes elegancy and purity. This aromatic grand cru classé contains floral notes of mimosa, linden and daffodil which are accompanied by white peach aromas and a honeyed finish. She likes to enjoy this sweet wine with dessert, particularly a strawberry tart.
- To conclude this wonderful list, Léo, who has recently joined our international team, remembers a dinner in 2016 when he tasted wine from Constance Klein Constantia for the first time. He says that it is a real treat at the end of any meal, fresh and sweet without being too heavy. Apparently, Napoléon would drink a bottle of this wine every day.
And yourself? We would be curious to know what your favourite wines for the start of 2023.
See the discounts at iDealwine